Saturday, July 25, 2009

Bachelor Camping Trip!

Last weekend Scott, my best man, organized a weekend camping trip to the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania as a last hurrah for my bachelor-dom. It was a lot of fun (despite some torrential downpours), and I'm really grateful to Scott for putting it together!


This is the Grand Canyon itself...try to imagine it without trees (like it was when it was named) and it might look more canyony.


This is Scott during one of the weekend's downpours looking out over the gorge. There's two parks, on opposite sides. One had lots of guiderails and railings...the other left you more to your own devices.



The rain had some advantages, though, especially after it cleared up...



There were some good wildlife sightings. There's a large porcupine perched in the top of the hemlock tree in this picture (take my word for it).



Guess which one's a plant and which one's a fungus! I love hiking with entomologist/biologists.



And the required bug pick...this one died of fungus!



And the aftermath...after a weekend of mountain pies, honey roasted peanuts, cookies, and dutch-oven cobbler, this is what I ate for the next two days :)

1 comment:

Bink said...

Nice Pics Jim! I love the sun through the trees.