Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What to call your teacher

I always start the semester by telling my students to call me Stephanie. Dr. Le**ard-Pi!on is a mouthful, and before I had the PhD Professor Le**ard-Pi!on was a mouthful too. I've told my students they can call me "Professor" if Stephanie's too informal for them, but to please not call me Mrs. Pi!on (my grandmother), Mrs. Le**ard (my other grandmother), Miss Stephanie (oh, where do I begin, for goodness' sake I'm not a kindergarten teacher), or just, perhaps most annoyingly, "Miss".

Here's what my students call me (from assignments and in class):

Mrs. Pi!!on
Mrs. Le**ard
Mrs. Li!!ard-Pi!on
Mrs. Stephanie
Miss
Miss Stephanie
Miss Professor
Prof Steph (I think I like this one best)
Prof Mrs. Le**ard-Pi!on (um)
Professor (I really have no problem with this)
Ummmmmmm...
Le**ard
Ma'am (ack! what did I do to deserve this?!)

I do get it- professors are intimidating, but I mean, come on. Can you at least try to learn my name? I know all of their names!

No comments: