Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Florida wildlife

Before July my experience in the great flat state of Florida was limited to ports (some nice, some less so) and interstates- not the best way to see an area! But after three weeks in Gainesville, I have a new appreciation for Florida, and now I get why someone would want to live there!

I had a great trip visiting a lab down there - wonderful people, interesting work, and the promise of future collaborations! Pretty sweet.

Plus, it's pretty. Still flat, but also pretty.

At the Natural History museum, there is a butterfly room where you can go in and see thousands of butterflies flying around beautiful gardens. It's really something special. This one is a relative of a monarch, and I think it's my favorite.


We went to the beach at St. Augustine! It was really nice - palm trees, warm water (especially considering what I'm used to!) and yummy mexican food. It's a pretty town, too.

The spanish fort at St. Augustine has this oven for heating up coals to put into cannon balls that they'd fire at wooden ships to set them on fire. Glad to see human barbarism is nothing new...

Mangroves on the University of Florida's campus! The 'knees' are to help the tree respire in wet and salty water.

Gators!! I was really excited to see these. Where we went to college, students would swim and boat in the pond. I guess that's not happening so much at UF. They're just hanging out near the road.

This is where I go jogging in the morning- sandy paths, cool plants, spanish moss...


I just think spanish moss is so romantic! Even if it does have lots of chiggers.

That's one big gator! It was probably about 6 feet long!

No comments: