Sunday, June 7, 2009

$@&! Snake!

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not much of a swearer, but nothing brings out the profanity in me more than seeing one of our scaly friends crossing my path. Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly afraid of snakes, and after the initial shock wears off I love to get right down next to them and check out their total coolness, but that first encounter almost always sparks a sharper response. At least I've improved from the "stand in place and scream" reaction.

The latest reptile encounter was this past Saturday in the backyard. This magnificent black snake was motoring across the yard from the woods, headed to parts unknown in the flower beds. He (or she) was definitely a crusty, old character-the tip of it's tail looked chopped off and it had lots of scars. But he was nice enough to pose for some good pictures...

4 comments:

Sarah said...

OMG! (I like the beer head/tail thing! V. Funny) That thing is huge, but I have to laugh, because two weeks ago we were at Letchworth State Park and the water was really low so we went off path to get down in the river bed. As we walked through the edge of the woods, a humungous (like 12inches long) black and orange snake moved and ran. I froze and clenched saying "Snake! Snake! Snake! Snake!" for about a minute until I could breathe. I was just getting over the echo feelings of discomfort that the snake may have followed me home and is waiting to slither across my feet while I'm sleeping, when POOF your blog post shows up. I'll never get to sleep now. But he is one cool reptile.

Audrey said...

That's a big 'un. We had one about the same size in our yard yesterday. I told him, "you better stay away from our chickens!" Which he did.

Jim said...

Ha-glad he left the chickens alone (although it would be kind of interesting to see an egg shape moving down a snake like that :)

Jim said...

Ahhh, the McNeil children aren't really cut out for life as herpetologists are we? :) This guy could have slithered over the feet of you and 5 of your closest friends!